Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Product Review: Maybelline Volum' Express "The Falsies" Mascara




     "The Falsies" is a new mascara by Maybelline. It claims to give the appearance of false eyelashes. According to the website, 
"the patented spoon brush and Kera-fiber formula instantly build 8x more volume without clumping. [The] unique flexible wand helps to lift and separate lashes to provide the look of 300% more lashes."
Those are some pretty big claims. Now, for anyone who knows me, I'm all about making my eyes look as huge as possible. And a big part of the "doe-eyed" look is the long, pretty fringe framing the eyes. I mean, what's more flirty than batting eyelashes? Nothing, I tell you! So as someone who wears falsies from time to time, I was intrigued. I would much rather swipe on mascara than sit around messing with the glue and placement of false eyelashes.

     I am wearing this mascara as I type this. Does it live up to its hype? No. But is it the worst mascara I've come across? No. So here's the thing- I've been using an eyelash serum to grow my lashes (product review for this to come!) so I don't really need tons of help with length and volume. But considering I have a pretty decent set of lashes, this mascara didn't really do much to show them off. I didn't get very good separation of lashes- it didn't look super clumpy, but I did have a few triangles of lashes stuck together. I mean, what's the point of wearing mascara to show off your lashes if it's going to make it look like you only have five or six of them? However, the spoon brush does do a good job of lifting the lashes, which in turn does make your eyes look bigger. If you curl your lashes and maybe comb through them then this mascara would probably do a better job. I always curl my lashes, but in the morning I don't really want to have to take an extra step of combing my lashes out to avoid spider lashes. 

Final Grade- B-. If you're willing to work with the comb, you'll get better separation. But it does add lift like it claims, and considering the price, it's not the worst mascara out there.  

     I have a few mascaras that I really like that I would recommend over this one-





     First is the Too Face Lash Injection mascara. This mascara is an all-in-one: it builds volume, lengthens, thickens, and adds some curl. What's so cool about this one is that it actually builds tubes around the individual lashes, so it extends the length past your natural lash. When you wear it you can pull of the little lash tube tips, which shows that it's actually doing what it claims. It's pretty cool.


     Next is the Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition mascara. What's great about this one is the separation you get! It makes your lashes look so full because it combs them all out. You can also use multiple coats to really build up the length- and it won't clump when you do this!


     The final one I would recommend is the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara. If you want the look of falsies, THIS IS THE ONE TO USE! Tarte calls it the "push-up bra for your lashes." It's a four-in- one mascara that adds length, curl, volume, and it conditions your lashes. What's great about Tarte is that they're a very natural brand, so it has less chemicals in it that could cause bad reactions. But what I love in particular about this one is the volume you get- you're lashes get so full that it really does look like you have on fake lashes. Seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment